Wednesday, February 22, 2017

2018 here I come

Back to basics. These previous 5 poses have been my standing poses for the two months. They are the bedrock of my practice and have rebuilt my practice. They are what I will be teaching my students in March. I am amazed at how strong I feel and how quickly my practice is coming back with only doing these 5 poses standing poses each night.

As my practice builds so does my voice and confidence. I have seen my Senior Teacher. The first time I taught in front of her was... well rough to put it nicely. I had just started practicing the week before. I felt weak and my voice was unsure if it could teach again. Then my teacher in Bakersfield gave me another chance to help her teach. My voice started weary, but found its rhythm. I felt the desire to teach again, and I knew that my body would come along.

A few weeks ago I went back to San Diego to see my Senior Teacher again. Again the first time I taught was shaky, but better, but the second time I knew I taught well. I felt as if the room was mine and those in front of me were not my peers and my teacher that I get nervous around, but my students that I love and am eager to help.

At the end of that weekend my teacher and I talked about my certification. I have graduated from her two year training program. My teaching is strong and par with an Introductory II Certified Teacher. But since I just had a baby my body is not ready to go up for assessment. I knew that this meant putting off my assessment for another year. 2018. At least this time I didn't want to cry when she told me I had to wait for assessment. I don't want to push my body into something it is not ready for.  I am a mother of 3 beautiful children, and my yoga practice is caring for them. Learning how to help them grow up. I am not a perfect mother, I yell more than I want. I give ultimatiums, and don't let the kids play in the front yard as much as I want. But I try to take the time to thank them for things they do well. I try to sit with them and read, play, and how to learn. I am trying to continue to learn patience and compassion. These things are my yoga. My practice is what I am able to do at the end of the day. I aim for 1-2 hrs, but if my kids need me, then my practice can wait.

I taught my first class last night, and my second class today (with a baby tucked under my arm). I am grateful for the chance to teach and help others gain what they need from yoga.
Michael and Mom in San Diego for training

No comments:

Post a Comment