Thursday, April 5, 2018

Yoga and Depression

Yoga has many benefits one for me is the help with depression. There have been many studies done with Iyengar Yoga and depression. Specifically

- A Yoga intervention for young adults with elevated symptoms of depression
       https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15055096
- Treatment of Major Depressive Disorder with Iyengar Yoga and Coherent Breathing: A Randomized controlled Dosing Study
       https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5717996/
- Yoga as a Complementary Treatment of Depression: Effects of Traits and Moods on Treatment Outcome
       https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2176141/

All of the studies showed yoga to a promising intervention and cost effective, and self reported symptoms were decreased by participants.

I have found this true in myself. When I am practicing yoga at least 2-3 times a week I feel better, I am a better mom and I feel I can stabilize my mood better. Yoga is more than a practice for me, it is more than an escape from being a mom it is literally a life saving practice that I hold onto and I rank high on my list of things that will take my depression away, right along with scriptures, prayer, and medicine. I hope one day that I will be able to take medicine off that list. That is my goal.

To help me attain that goal I work harder on the other things that help my depression and happily I have amazing Yoga teachers that have deep knowledge of this subject.

Marla Apt- Intermediate Senior II teacher highlighted 5 poses that have "depression-fighting elements"
These 5 poses are
- Urdhva Hastasana in Tadasana (upward arms in mountain pose)
- Adho Mukha Vrksasana (handstand)
     or  Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward facing dog)
- Viparita Dandasana in Chair (chair backbend)
- Salamba Sarvangasana in chair (Chair shoulderstand)
- Setubandha Sarvangasana over crossed bolsters (supported bridge pose over crossed bolsters)

I'll post how to do these poses over the coming weeks. But I am glad to have these poses to add to my sequence.



No comments:

Post a Comment